Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Ever Wanted to Kill a Dog?

........ or My WWII Collection
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Memorial Day display we set up a few years back.



Back home......................


This is my "War Room" housing my collection of WWII Army Air Force uniforms and gear. On the floor lies a small pile of uncatalogued purchases. Collecting this has actually been on the back burner for several years. This spare bedroom has double doors entering that are usually held shut with a rubber band across the handles. We do this as we have found Grace sleeping in there among "her people". She has never chewed anything in our house but who wants hair or drool on your nice wool uniforms? The neighbor's dog we are watching, Bear, on the other hand, is not so familiar with this room of "people".
Today I noticed the "War Room" door was ajar so I stepped in to find this:


I don't expect every reader to know what these are. This is/was a pair of AN-T-35 (or AN-6554) flight pants. These were the last of the flight pants I had collected in order to complete my collection.... and the most difficult to find. I had been looking off and on for over 5 years for these and, as you can see, they are about as mint as they come. Well not any more! They weren't shaken - still folded as you see them. I knew it had to be the dog we are sitting - Bear. Red-faced, I called my wife lest I smite the ignorant beast. She felt bad admitting she had recently removed the rubber band so Grace wouldn't poke her head in and get caught between the doors. I know it isn't true but one might think she loves that dog more than about anything else............ wait..... that is true!
This is hardly the way I wanted to introduce this hobby to the blog. The dog in question (Bear) is alive and well but with guns nearby he is lucky indeed!

Interesting side note: There is much more shearling material missing from the trousers than can be found. The convicting evidence is still to come... I hope it's an uncomfortable passing...... and I'll be watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment