Friday, May 8, 2009

Update

BTW, the verdict is in. I was correct. Bear is the dog guilty of destroying history forever!
Grace is looking on as if to say, "You sure are comfortable in MY house!".......... or does she see a piece of WWII flight gear hanging out of his back side?!



Here he is trying to be cute. What he is really doing is lulling me into a lack of concern so he can steal off into another part of the house. Maybe this time to destroy a vintage lightweight racing bicycle!



Well first thing today was another lumber run. I knew if I tried to buy everything in one trip the other day, I would forget something needed early on so I did it by the day. I decided to add a "sister" over existing fascia and then mount the joist hangers to that. It's more sturdy than expected - certainly more sturdy than it was. The deck wasn't exactly square (not my fault!) so I had to notch each joist independently. In addition there is a slight slope to the deck - not only away from the house but more on one end. To fix it would mean to start from scratch so I just dialed in an extra inch on that corner. Still not enough as I also had to cut the bevel of each joist independently. Only a few degrees difference from one end to the other but this changed over the range of 13 different boards. That took much of the afternoon.
Tomorrow comes the decking, flashing and roofing material.

This deck thing is becoming quite a project and I can't wait until I can mow again and then start back on my real hobbies.
I have used parts coming for this bike. Plans are for a complete restoration. Might take a few years.
Photobucket


Also, the seat should arrive soon for the board track racer project. I had it made by a guy in Texas who has built seats for antique bikes for 40 years. It's what all the concours guys put on theirs. It was the single most expensive part of the project but makes it.
If you don't know about the board track racer project, it's a replica of a 1915 Cyclone racer. I've been building it for about 3 years from scratch off of line drawings I scaled up from a picture. Yes from scratch! Since the last authentic one sold at auction last year for $520,000(!), I figured this is as close as I'll get to one. With a 12.5HP Briggs V-twin "lawnmower" engine, it might turn a head or two - in fact I know it will! Lots of neat little engineering like an internal twist throttle - everything hand made. There are quite a few followers of this projects. I've gotten email inquiries from as far as Belgium! Here's pretty much where it's at right now.

I need to start wrapping some of these projects up so I can revisit some other hobbies and make more big pieces of metal into smaller pieces of metal!

No comments:

Post a Comment